Seventh Edition of Wednesday Wisdom

Welcome to the seventh installation of #WednesdayWisdom! Every week we’ll post information relating to hearing.

Our goal is to provide valuable information so that you can take an active part in maintaining your #hearinghealth.
—————————
This is our fourth and final in a four-part series relating to degrees of hearing loss, and how to recognize them in ourselves, and in others.

This week’s focus is: Profound hearing loss

Last week we posted about Severe hearing loss, which is when the majority of individuals are already aware that they are suffering a loss of hearing.

People who suffer from Profound hearing loss are very hard of hearing and rely mostly on lip-reading, and/or sign language.

On average, the most quiet sounds heard by people at a Profound hearing loss level are from 90 dB or louder. Sounds that are among those that grow fainter within the range of Profound hearing loss are the noise inside a subway car, a sporting event, a rock band, and an emergency vehicle siren.

The sounds that were listed in our prior Mild, Moderate and Severe levels (ranging from light traffic to conversational speech to a lawn mower) are already beyond the person’s ability to hear, and are beyond hope of recapture.

Most people who experience hearing loss treat it with the use of hearing aids. Approximately 30% of hearing aid wearers experience severe to profound levels of hearing loss. Meanwhile, people with mild to moderate hearing loss (the other 70%) are able to hear sounds as soft as 25 to 60 dB.

Hearing loss can also vary from ear to ear, making it even more difficult to determine on our own whether we’re experiencing issues. This is just another reason why it is critical to get a yearly hearing exam.

Hearing cannot be recaptured once it is lost, but the use of hearing aids can slow the decline of hearing, preserving the ability that remains. As we posted last week, this has to do with Auditory Deprivation, which we will make the focus of next week’s posting.

The term “hearing aids” typically bring to mind a negative image; however, today’s devices are far smaller with greater capabilities, and with a wide range of additional options and features.